3 Times the Charm

When a picture inspires the mind and a story forms within.

Moderator: Raleigh

3 Times the Charm

Postby MarioDS01 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Well, here is my 3rd attempt on my TG captions. I think this time I did this one pretty well.

These 2 following 2 parts to the caption is based on the events after the one made from Muffinstud that he made about Childhood memories. I made this because that caption was a little too sad for the taste and do this one to resolve the problem.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... iPart1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... iPart2.jpg

Hopefully you guys enjoyed them. I think I have maybe inproved a little since the last ones I made. I know the image is kind of blury, but I typed a lot of text and needed room for it.

I may make some for captions if this one goes well and nobody trys to be too critical on this one. If you have any advice for me when do captions in the future, please PM me.
MarioDS01
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Beyond » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:01 pm

;__; english, not able, to understand...
Randomness: Because coherency is overrated.
Beyond
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby MarioDS01 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Beyond wrote:;__; english, not able, to understand...

Ok.......Uh, anyways, did you like it?
MarioDS01
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby Kumi-chan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:50 am

The picture looks horribly stretched.
Kumi-chan
Spaminator
Spaminator

Postby muffinstud » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:14 am

I'm truly flattered that you would treat one of my captions this way. I do hope there will be a next time for your captions, I feel some promise in you.

One thing I found disorienting was the fact that it was the same picture for both captions. Next time, don't be afraid to make a super-long caption if need be. I've done it before, and I will do it again.

The story idea in itself was good. You'll hear criticism on your writing (even from me), but don't take it personal. Truth be told, the only reason I even write is to improve myself. If I don't get my mistakes pointed out to me (and trust me, it hurts me too), I don't know what to do to make myself better. So remember: if someone points out something wrong, that doesn't mean there wasn't something they liked. Most people's brains are fickle and only remember bad stuff anyways.

Now the part you might not like. The story, while it had a good concept, felt a little rushed. I always have to plan things out in my head for at least 15 minutes (unless I am truly inspired) before I'll even start. But that's me. Your brain works different. If there is a way to set up the caption that somehow gives the final result more story flow, use it. If your stories have flow, then people won't care if it's a stick figure for a picture.

Anywho, did I like it? Yes. Is there room to improve? Very yes. How can you improve? Make more. I personally can't help you in the "prevent image distortion" department, but I will do the best I can elsewhere.

Once again: Don't stop!
"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby UDDCommander » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:21 am

muffinstud wrote:One thing I found disorienting was the fact that it was the same picture for both captions. Next time, don't be afraid to make a super-long caption if need be. I've done it before, and I will do it again.

So very true, it's better to make a superlong caption then two with the same pic, and continuing. If you feel like it would be to long, turn it into a story with a pic or pics.
I hate Writer's Block, it's like trying to fight Kefka on level 2 with 1 phoenix down
UDDCommander
Lurking MSFer
Lurking MSFer

Postby Musashi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:07 am

What program did you do this in? If it was Photoshop... well, I'm not quite sure how to prevent the pixel-y-ness, but to prevent the stretching when resizing, you could try clicking the Constrain Proportions box on the image resizing menu. :3

And like Mr. Neko Bread said, don't take criticism personally. I mean, yeah, if someone is all "OMG IT IS TEH WORST CAPTION EVER AND I HATE YOUUUZ!!! >:O" then like.. go report 'em to a mod. XD; But I've never seen anyone around here do that. Some people are harsher than others in their criticism, and it can hurt, but they're just trying to be honest so that you'll know how to continue to improve. And just keep practicin'!
Item 1: ShounenAi Badger Badge
2: God of Bishounenkind Badge
3: FtM Badge

"Yer so funny in a harmlessly psychotic way ;-p" - Coru-moose

"You're like a ninja ferret on crack." - Zack

Dubbed "Moon Master" by Kata
Musashi
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Chibi MitchellTF » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:44 am

Which caption is this a sequel to again?
Chibi MitchellTF
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby muffinstud » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:14 pm

"Well, you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river, when you're living...in a van down by the river!" --Matt Foley, motivational speaker
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Postby Lucky » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Make more. I know when I was starting out I was terrifide of posting any thing. But I keep with it and I have felt like I've I've improved since then.

I find the most importent part about captioning something is you have to like the caption in the end. If you dislike it, then what's the chance any one eals will? For me, when I write something I don't want to it's not as good as something I like more. It's also good to read threw it a couple of time.

I know when people read mine they may not be able to tell, but the latter ones I've started reading threw mutiple times. I feel these latter ones have came out the best becaues of that.

As for the strech, it looks like you inlarged a image that was small. That's a no no. You can make big small, but not small big.

Also rember to always decress and incress the leght and width by the same amount. or ales it will also become distorded that way.
Lucky
MSFer
MSFer

Postby MarioDS01 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:54 am

muffinstud wrote:I'm truly flattered that you would treat one of my captions this way. I do hope there will be a next time for your captions, I feel some promise in you.

One thing I found disorienting was the fact that it was the same picture for both captions. Next time, don't be afraid to make a super-long caption if need be. I've done it before, and I will do it again.

The story idea in itself was good. You'll hear criticism on your writing (even from me), but don't take it personal. Truth be told, the only reason I even write is to improve myself. If I don't get my mistakes pointed out to me (and trust me, it hurts me too), I don't know what to do to make myself better. So remember: if someone points out something wrong, that doesn't mean there wasn't something they liked. Most people's brains are fickle and only remember bad stuff anyways.

Now the part you might not like. The story, while it had a good concept, felt a little rushed. I always have to plan things out in my head for at least 15 minutes (unless I am truly inspired) before I'll even start. But that's me. Your brain works different. If there is a way to set up the caption that somehow gives the final result more story flow, use it. If your stories have flow, then people won't care if it's a stick figure for a picture.

Anywho, did I like it? Yes. Is there room to improve? Very yes. How can you improve? Make more. I personally can't help you in the "prevent image distortion" department, but I will do the best I can elsewhere.

Once again: Don't stop!

I thank you for the advice muffinstud. Sorry I did not respond to your comment earlier, my account was inactive so I needed to email to someone to get it reactivated so I can post my own captions, and I will now I can use my MSF message board account again.

And yes, it does seem a little rushed. But I had this kind of idea in my head for a while and wanted to get it out and put it in caption form. I glad you did like my caption anyways of making a sequel out of one of your captions. It's just I wanted to create it because the ending to your childhood memories one is too sad to me and I always want to see happy endings. That is why I will continue to make my own TG captions with happy endings and avoid any sad endings to them. Maybe I make sequels to other ones that sort of have sad endings to them, who knows.

Actually I was thinking of making an alternive ending/situation thing to the TG towel one where the boy by acciedent became a girl and his girlfriend was a guy. I figure out the caption from there on out.
MarioDS01
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby MarioDS01 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:02 am

UDDCommander wrote:
muffinstud wrote:One thing I found disorienting was the fact that it was the same picture for both captions. Next time, don't be afraid to make a super-long caption if need be. I've done it before, and I will do it again.

So very true, it's better to make a superlong caption then two with the same pic, and continuing. If you feel like it would be to long, turn it into a story with a pic or pics.

I acutually was going to make it a super long caption, but I was kind of limited in my workspace in MS paint. Unless you know how to make it bigger, please let me know.
MarioDS01
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby MarioDS01 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:06 am

Lucky wrote:Make more. I know when I was starting out I was terrifide of posting any thing. But I keep with it and I have felt like I've I've improved since then.

I find the most importent part about captioning something is you have to like the caption in the end. If you dislike it, then what's the chance any one eals will? For me, when I write something I don't want to it's not as good as something I like more. It's also good to read threw it a couple of time.

I know when people read mine they may not be able to tell, but the latter ones I've started reading threw mutiple times. I feel these latter ones have came out the best becaues of that.

As for the strech, it looks like you inlarged a image that was small. That's a no no. You can make big small, but not small big.

Also rember to always decress and incress the leght and width by the same amount. or ales it will also become distorded that way.

Well thanks for the advice when changing sizes of an image. I will remind myself to use that advice when I create my own captions.
MarioDS01
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby MarioDS01 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:46 pm

After I made that one sequel to Childhood Memories from Muffinstud, I decided to do more sequels to captions from other captioners. I hope you guys enjoy them.

This one is not quite a sequel, but an alternivate if Harry's girlfriend prevented him from using her favorite yellow towel

The one it is based on:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... /towel.jpg

The Caption I created:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... aption.jpg

This caption is how Nate/Natalia coups being a girl with His/her bestfriend Tom after being punished for being a pervert by Barbara

The Caption it is based on:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... evenge.jpg

The Caption I created:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... AndTom.jpg

The last one I created is based on the bffjp cation of 2 best friends and one of them transformed into a girl by a tg virus.

The Caption it is based on:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... /bffjp.jpg

The Caption I created:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... riends.jpg
MarioDS01
Quiet MSFer
Quiet MSFer

Postby muffinstud » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Right on. Right. On. I liked the Towel Alternative the best, simply because of the alternate reality thing going on. Oh, it was written well too, but I'm a sucker for alternate realities and such. Or am I?

The only thing I could find is a small piece of grammar: When using quotation marks, only close them out when someone else is talking, or if you are going to use a variation of "they said." For example:

"I went to the store today." "I bought some lettuce there."

This can be corrected in one of two ways (really depends on your style or what kind of effect you want)

"I went to the store today. I bought some lettuce there."

Or

"I went to the store today," she said. "I bought some lettuce there."

Now class, turn to page 57 in your books and read Beowulf in it's entirety before the period ends in five minutes. A five paragraph essay on your reading will be due tomorrow.
muffinstud
Postmonger
Postmonger

Next

Return to Caption Images