Don't mean to start a big debate or anything, but...

What's the poll you want to ask?

a) Something serious.
b) Something awesome.
c) Something silly.

Moderator: Moderators

Which political candidate do you want to win the office of President?

Hillary Clinton
No votes
Barack Obama
57%
John McCain
29%
Ralph Nader
14%
I don't care
No votes
I don't want any of them to win, I dislike them all as possible choices
No votes

Total votes : 7

Re: Don't mean to start a big debate or anything, but...

Postby Sophia Anieri » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:54 pm

Barack Obama. When I saw the video of the last major speech he made I knew. He's the one to lead America toward fixing things.

Video is up on his website if anyone is interested.
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Dracos » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:12 am

What speech was that? The most recent speech they had was his "Yes we Can" speech, where he didn't address what was wrong, or how to change it, or how we as the people actually had any power. Was it a different speech that convinced you?

I just don't put much stock in people saying they bring "change" but not saying how... Change is only good if the change is an improvement, after all.
When the fate of the world is resting on your shoulders... How can you afford not to stop and get a massage?
Dracos
Active MSFer
Active MSFer

Postby Helel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:25 am

Barack Obama

All other things said on the political side, I'm going to say that culturally, him even getting the nomination would be a great indicator of America getting past its history with inequality among the races.

I know he's not toting himself as an African American running for president, but a person running for president who happens to be an African American (I prefer it this way, actually). But if he were elected president there would be a great change for American culture, especially with the relationship between the racial majority and minorities, that would be amazing in my eyes. It'd be a great step towards better racial equality.

On the flip side, I think the cultural impact of a woman being elected president (I'm looking at you, Hillary) would be awesome as well. Equality of the genders is a good thing as well.

Politically, I'm agreeable for most of the democratic candidates, but weighing in cultural impacts in addition to who can do the job, Clinton and Obama are my main choices, with me leaning towards Obama. The rest are slightly less uninspiring or plain compared to those two.

I think Terra and Sophia have pointed out anything else I would say at this ungodly hour as I attempt to finish this Biomedical Engineering Project. Don't come to me if you have a spinal injury. :o
Helel
Hisho
Hisho

Postby Christina Anikari » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:54 am

Just a quick note Dracos. No matter how good or bad Ron Paul's economics might be, i am not too fond of them myself, he is no economist. He is a medical doctor which is something quite different from an economist. At least if listening to the education of my cousin who studies economics and my uncle who is a doctor is any indication of what the two groups learn. :D
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Sophia Anieri » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:52 pm

Dracos wrote:What speech was that? The most recent speech they had was his "Yes we Can" speech, where he didn't address what was wrong, or how to change it, or how we as the people actually had any power. Was it a different speech that convinced you?

I just don't put much stock in people saying they bring "change" but not saying how... Change is only good if the change is an improvement, after all.

The speech was the first one that comes up, "The Great Need of the Hour," and he does talk about specific problems and how to change them.
Tell me, for what price would you give up hope?
Would you follow the will o' the wisp of the brightest morning star?
How far?
Sophia Anieri
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:03 pm

Kucinich is dropping out, so I now say to screw it all. All hope is lost. And I say that because I'm not going to settle for a typical/standard/okay president or worse, which is all that I see remaining.

I guess I can just hope that he gets re-elected in his district for a seventh term.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Xia » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:39 am

I'm playing this close to the vest. I'm waiting to see who gets the nominations.

but ideally, those I would be most likely to vote for are

Rudy
McCain
Obama

In semi order of preference
~Between Sanity and Madness lies Genius
Between Genius and Madness I come~
Xia
Sensei
Sensei

Postby Mendi-chan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:22 pm

Updated to exclude the candidates who are no longer in the race.
Husband to Mid Boss
Mendi-chan
MSF's Little Sister
MSF's Little Sister

Postby Christina Anikari » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Can't vote on this. I cannot tell whether i find Obama or Hillary least annoying. Hillary is fighting most dirty, but on the other she has real political substance, whereas Obama seems to be running a campaign on personal charisma, vague rhetorics and a close association with Martin Luther King. Hillary probably still inches out for me, at least i think it realistic to expect that she will be able to handle the job. It is not enough that i dare vote for her though.

And don't suggest i go with the republicans, Kucinich and Gravel are too right-wing for my ideal preference and then you yourself can see how far away a Republican, even the moderate McCain are compared to my views.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby jimmyinwhite » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 am

Just as I thought no clear winner.
i walk in the land of dreams looking for the truth
test to find out who you are!
jimmyinwhite
MSFer
MSFer

Postby Tiffany Grimm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm going with McCain. His platform says somethings I reallly agree with. Plus, there's no denying the man is tough.
2nd in command of the Redblades Student of Raleigh! Headmistress of the Tiffany Grimm Academy!
Check out my Characters: http://www.magicalsailorfuku.net/forums ... 32&t=11667
Tiffany Grimm
Derailer (Just Kidding)
Derailer (Just Kidding)

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:12 pm

With those remaining, I can only care for Ron Paul. Aside from the fact that, if he were to make it as a candidate, his running mate may very well be Kucinich. His foreign policy seems sound, and while I'm not sure about his domestic policies, getting rid of the IRS and decreasing the government's budget, particularly the Pentagon's budget (if I remember correctly; I can't remember if he targeted the Pentagon specifically), sounds good to me.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned because only women can give two tits for every tat.
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Christina Anikari » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:26 pm

As far as i am able to gather his foreign policy is something along the lines of "screw them, we can do just fine be ourselves". Basically he is an isolationist. Also i doubt that the almost social democratic Kucinich would be the running mate for the radical libertarian Ron Paul. If anything they would be at each others throats over domestic politics constantly, fiscally they are just about exact opposites.
Christina Anikari
Excited MSFer
Excited MSFer

Postby Mitera Nikkou » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:53 pm

I don't know about you, but at least for a time I think it'd be a good idea for America to focus on itself more for a while.

What I doubt is the validity of your labeling. But instead of arguing over perceptions, I'll just state that they are, in fact, friends. They do have their disagreements as far as some domestic policies are concerned, but nowhere near as bad as you've... imagined? But let's put it like this: how could it be worse compared to the last two presidential terms? Bush has shown to have many similarities with Hitler, and I find it hard to believe that it's a mere coincidence that he's done so many things, if not to the same degree or reason, but in relatively the same order. And, let's face it, America's too invasive and self-righteous, and in ever-degrading condition, so what would it hurt to be more isolated for a bit? And I say a bit because things change as the people running the government do. It's not like it's going to be forever. It may just be the sort of change we need, as a country. A bit selfish, maybe, but no different from the selfish things we're doing now. Although, in the first place, I don't think Ron Paul would be as bad as you make it sound in that regard; plus, if what you say is the case, what are the chances of congress and the American people allowing it?

As a little aside... I disregard labels. I consider them to be stupid because they're so often painted in black and white, and people misuse them. In particular I'm looking at anyone who praises Democracy as the crème de la crème of governmental institutions. I completely disagree. The same can be said for Capitalism. Think what you want about what I think, but you'd be wrong. Not that there's a right or wrong, but you know what I mean. I'm just a crazy person living in their own world, away from you insanely sane people. You make no sense. :?
Mitera Nikkou
Exalted MSFer
Exalted MSFer

Postby Raleigh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Chose McCain because he's nuts. No other reason for me. I don't give a rats arse what any of them stand for because they are all liars and cheats, I just vote for the one that would amuse me the most.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Raleigh
Senpai
Senpai

PreviousNext

Return to Polls